Incorporated in 1734, Halifax was originally known by the Native American name “Monponsett,” which means “near the deep pond.” It is situated on 16.6 square miles about 40 minutes south of Boston. Now largely residential, agriculture and lumbering were once the basis of the town’s economy. Today, over 7,000 people call this pastorial community their home.
The town of Halifax is situated in Southeastern Massachusetts and considered the Heart of Plymouth County. It is located 28 miles from Boston and 12 miles from Plymouth. It contains 11,285 acres; 1,700 of it water.